Monday, September 29, 2014

Reupholstering 101

I'm going start by saying that reupholstering is not my favorite thing in the world. This whole project kind of started by accident. I inherited this very ugly but extremely comfortable couch from my grandma and after I painted my living room I just wasn't loving this 80's style couch anymore. I had dreams of reupholstering it but I knew that was out of my league of abilities. I had heard nothing but horror stories about reupholstering. 



Well, one day at work I came across this blog post about reupholstering a couch:
She makes it look so easy! 

So I went home all pumped to take apart my couch. I found some awesome fabric at Home Fabrics and started ripping apart my couch. I didn't know what I was in for. 
Reupholstering isn't exactly hard, it is just VERY TIME CONSUMING! I didn't realize how much time it would take to just take the old fabric off of the couch. Taking the staples out took about a week. (I watched a lot of Grey's Anatomy to keep me entertained) Once the staples were out it got a lot more exciting because I could start putting my new fabric on. 

These are my Instgram photos documenting the process. Clearly I had a very positive attitude...



The biggest complication I came across was how to hide the new staples. So I found a fix by adding nail heads on the front. In the end, it wasn't really that bad. Most of my struggles came from not knowing how to approach a task. This project took me a total of 3 months because I was working full time while trying to do it. If I had worked straight through it would have taken about 2 weeks.




I probably won't be reupholstering again any time soon, but I do love my new couch!

No comments:

Post a Comment